Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sewing for a cause

I've always wondered if there was a way to combine my three big interests of crafting, clothing and women's (and girl's) issues into a job (volunteer or otherwise). But I haven't had any idea of how these three passions could cross over. Until now.

Project HOPE Art is an organization dedicated to providing assistance to victims of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti. The group started a homemade dress drive for girls living in a Port-Au-Prince orphanage. Since August people from all over the world have sewn 145+ dresses for their project, well exceeding the 30 dress goal. Oliver + S donated their Popover Sundress pattern to the cause.

I love this project. Helping girls retain their dignity by owning and wearing new, never-used clothing is wonderful. And I think this project is a great way to channel our society's DIY energy.

I'd love sew dresses for little girls who need them, and shorts for little boys. As far as I can tell though, Project HOPE Art doesn't need any dresses right now. So I'm working on finding another organization that does.

No comments: