Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DVF can now empower your little girl too

You might not be able to afford a DVF wrap dress for yourself, but now you can buy one for your daughter. Diane von Fürstenberg, iconic Belgian-American fashion designer, is launching a punchy, bright line of clothing for girls ages 0-14 at the Gap this week.



Her easy-to-wear designs feature high-chroma, bold prints. "This collection is about celebrating life and colour," VonFurstenberg said in the Gap's sneak-peak trailer. "The minute a little girl is born, she is already the woman she will be. So to empower a little girl is to empower the woman she will become."

Diane's sentiments are a little highflautin for me. As much as I love clothes, I think it's a stretch to say that a green, petal-printed, wrap dress can empower young girls. Her lofty aspirations aside, I do like her collection. It's fun, vibrant, and relaxed, just like a childhood should be.

DVF joins an ever growing list of designers collaborating with low-priced clothing and department stores to bring style and light to mere mortals.

The DVF / Gap collaboration goes on sale March 15.

I bet die-hards across North America are already bunkered down for the next 24 hours in their portable, folding lawn chairs, wrapped in sleeping bags outside their local Gap. I think I'll just watch from the sidelines.


No comments: